Facebook has begun to roll out their new design.
3 things I love about it
- The search bar will be centered across the top of the screen, giving it more prominence. I find the search bar invaluable to quickly jump from page to page or profile to profile and hope its new location will encourage smarter use.
- The left side bar will be more useful
- Your bookmarks will be on the left hand side
- You can update your status from anywhere. Your status “bar” will be on the left hand side, giving you access to update your status anywhere in Facebook.
- Notifications, requests and message icons will be at the top of the page. (See Mashable’s screen shots here) Having these as drop downs will ease readability.
Other changes include, a smaller chat bar, which I am not sure how I feel about. If it makes it more browser friendly or mobile friendly, I am all for it.
The account log in / out function has been rolled into a single account drop down.
According to Techcrunch, applications are taking the biggest hit as they will no longer be able to publish notifications.
What are your thoughts on the “new” Facebook look?
I think the changes they are adding are good, but they want to be careful with changing to much, i feel like some users would get turned off if they logged onto facebook one day and saw the user interface changed. Myspace did that and it helped sink that ship, in my opinion.