If your brick and mortar store front depends on local business – then your web site needs to be found in local search engines. Not only should you use your city, town and county in the title bar of your web page and have you physical address in the content, but you should sign up for some of the search engines that offer local listings.
Most of these are free – some have paid listings. Try the free ones first and see how you make out.
- Goog411 — http://www.google.com/goog411
- Yahoo Local Business — http://listings.local.yahoo.com/signup/create_1.php
- TrueLocal.com — http://www.truelocal.com/listabusiness.aspx
- Switchboard.com Yellow Pages — http://www.switchboard.com
- Ask Local — http://city.ask.com/city
- MSN Local/Live Maps/InfoUSA — https://ssl.search.live.com/listings/ListingCenter.aspx
- CitySearch — https://selfenroll.citysearch.com
- SuperPages — http://advertising.superpages.com/spportal
- Internet Yellow Pages — http://www.yellow.com/advertise
- Chambers of Commerce — http://www.chamberofcommerce.com/public/index.cfm
- Yelp.com — http://www.yelp.com